Thanks for choosing Coaching Actuaries! We want to ensure you receive all the help you need to pass Exam P. Here are a few recommendations on how to use our products.
Phase 1: Learn
- To learn the material, read the online manual and/or watch the video lessons. Attempt the examples on your own even if you have seen the solution. Do your best to understand the concepts instead of just memorizing facts/formulas.
- At the end of every subsection, work on a few practice problems before moving on. One way is to create Adapt quizzes. Your goal is to do enough practice problems so that you become familiar with the concepts without falling behind schedule. We suggest somewhere between 3 to 10 problems per subsection.
- Keep in mind that completing the manual and/or video course is at most halfway to being exam-ready. You then need to deeply invest in solving practice problems. We recommend completing the Learn phase at least 30 days prior to the exam.
Phase 2: Practice & Review
We recommend spending at least 30 days just on practicing using Adapt. On your Adapt dashboard:
- You can generate exams based on your Earned Level by clicking “Take Exam”.
- You can also create customized exams where you can choose to include/exclude SOA/CAS questions and set the target difficulty level of the exam.
Treat Adapt exams like the actual exam. Stick to the 3-hour time limit without pauses. Refrain from peeking at your formula sheet or notes. Use an SOA-approved calculator (we recommend TI-30XS Multiview for P). These conditions may feel harsh at first, but it is a habit that is better developed earlier than later.
Once you have completed a practice exam, review the problems. Believe it or not, here is where huge progress is made; it is vital to learn from your mistakes. If you did not get a problem right, review the Adapt solution for that problem and/or watch the solution video if available. Understand why you did not get the problem right. Then, rework the problem. If you have questions about a specific problem or concept, use the discussion forum to ask these questions. Our support team will respond to your questions as soon as they can.
Make sure to periodically use the section reports to identify topics you are weak in. Then, create quizzes to practice those topics.
We wish you all the best in your studies! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask our P coaches on the forum.